PoliticsBengal Govt Discontinues Stipend Programme for Religious Leaders Under Suvendu Adhikari

Date:

Bengal Govt Discontinues Stipend Programme for Religious Leaders Under Suvendu Adhikari

The West Bengal cabinet on Monday approved the discontinuation of financial assistance schemes linked to religious categories, bringing an end to honorarium programmes for imams, muezzins and purohits from June onward.

Speaking after the cabinet meeting, Agnimitra Paul said the government had cleared a proposal to withdraw schemes based on religious classification and that an official notification would soon be issued.

She indicated that the state budget allocations connected to these programmes could now be withdrawn. However, Paul clarified that scholarship schemes for students would continue without any changes.

The assistance programmes, previously run under the departments of Information and Cultural Affairs and Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education during the earlier All India Trinamool Congress government, were introduced to support the socio economic condition of religious functionaries.

Earlier this year, the previous government led by Mamata Banerjee had increased honorariums for religious leaders by ₹500. Under the revised structure, imams of registered mosques received ₹3,000 per month, while muezzins and purohits were granted ₹2,000.

BJP government rolls out new welfare plans

The cabinet also approved several measures linked to promises made by the Bharatiya Janata Party during the election campaign.

Among the major decisions was the launch of the “Annapurna” scheme, under which women in the state will receive monthly financial assistance of ₹3,000 starting June 1.

The government additionally granted in principle approval for free travel for women on state run buses.

Paul said women who were already beneficiaries under the earlier Lakshmir Bhandar programme would automatically be shifted to the new Annapurna scheme without requiring fresh applications. The assistance amount will be transferred directly to beneficiaries’ bank accounts.

Existing OBC list to be scrapped

Another major cabinet decision involved the cancellation of the current state OBC list in line with a 2024 judgment by the Calcutta High Court.

Paul said the new BJP government would move ahead with implementing the court’s ruling.

Seventh Pay Commission approved

The cabinet also cleared the formation of the Seventh State Pay Commission to revise salaries for government employees across West Bengal.

According to Paul, the pay revision will apply not only to state government staff but also to employees of statutory bodies, civic institutions, local authorities, education boards and state run educational institutions.

She clarified, however, that the issue of increasing dearness allowance for employees was not discussed during Monday’s meeting.

During the election campaign, Narendra Modi had promised that a new pay commission would be implemented within 45 days if the BJP formed the government in Bengal.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

iOS 27 Siri Upgrade from Apple Could Come Through Dedicated New App

Apple could finally be preparing a major upgrade for...

Confusion on Sidelines Leaves Neymar Fuming During Crucial Match

Neymar endured a frustrating and chaotic evening during what...

Iran Signals Tighter Oversight of Internet Cables Beneath Strait of Hormuz

A senior Iranian source said Tehran plans to address...

Zee Entertainment Enterprises Faces Legal Action from Reliance Disney Over Alleged Unauthorized Film Airings

JioStar, the broadcasting and streaming venture backed by Reliance...