InternationalImmigration From Afghanistan Cut Off by US in Wake of White House-Area...

Date:

Immigration From Afghanistan Cut Off by US in Wake of White House-Area Terror Attack

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services announced a major policy shift on Wednesday, shortly after Rahmanullah Lakanwal, an Afghan citizen, was named as the suspect in the Washington DC shooting incident. The thirty year old allegedly opened fire on two members of the National Guard just a short distance from the White House. He was shot by authorities and taken into custody.

The moment Lakanwal’s identity became public, President Donald Trump issued a sharp and forceful response, describing Afghanistan as a “hell hole on earth.” He added that the latest information available to his administration showed that the man arrested was a foreign national who had entered the United States from Afghanistan.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem later wrote on X that the suspect had been granted mass parole into the country as part of Operation Allies Welcome on September 8, 2021, during the Biden administration.

Following the revelation, USCIS announced a suspension of all immigration services connected to Afghan nationals. The agency posted that, with immediate effect, every pending request involving Afghan applicants would be halted while security procedures and vetting systems were reviewed. USCIS emphasized that the safety of the United States and its citizens remains its top concern.

Afghan officials have not yet commented on the American immigration agency’s decision.

Meanwhile, Trump, who is spending the Thanksgiving holiday in Florida, condemned the attack in strong terms. He said that earlier in the day, just before the holiday, two National Guard personnel on duty in Washington DC were shot at close range in what he described as a calculated and vicious attack. He added that the assault was an act of hatred, terror, and evil, calling it a crime committed not only against the victims but against the entire nation. Trump said the thoughts of the country were with the two West Virginia National Guard members and their families.

Share post:

Popular

More like this
Related

Cyclone Ditwah Claims 123 Lives in Sri Lanka, 130 Missing

Cyclone Ditwah: Torrential rainfall and flooding triggered by Cyclone...

Salman Khan Claims Advertisement Featured Silver-Coated Cardamom Over Pan Masala Ad Row

Bollywood actor Salman Khan has submitted a detailed response...

Delhi AQI Remains in Very Poor Category for 15 Consecutive Days

Delhi: Delhi's air quality continued in the very poor...

Amid Wedding Delay, Smriti Mandhana and Palash Muchhal Adjust Instagram Bios

Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana and composer Palash Muchhal have...