Home Sports Confusion on Sidelines Leaves Neymar Fuming During Crucial Match

Confusion on Sidelines Leaves Neymar Fuming During Crucial Match

0
neymar
neymar

Neymar endured a frustrating and chaotic evening during what could have been his final appearance before Carlo Ancelotti announces Brazil national football team’s World Cup squad, after a substitution error overshadowed Santos FC’s 3 0 defeat to Coritiba on Sunday.

The confusion unfolded in the 65th minute at Neo Quimica Arena with Santos already trailing heavily. Neymar had briefly stepped off the field to receive treatment on his right calf when the fourth official’s board unexpectedly displayed his No. 10 for substitution, with Robinho Jr preparing to enter the pitch.

Santos later insisted the intended substitution had actually been defender Gonzalo Escobar and not Neymar.

Neymar reacts angrily to officiating error

The mix up immediately sparked anger from Neymar, who rushed to speak with referee Paulo Cesar Zanovelli and the fourth official in an attempt to explain the mistake.

However, because Robinho Jr had already entered the field, the substitution stood. Neymar continued protesting on the sidelines and was eventually shown a yellow card for refusing to accept the decision.

After the incident, the Brazil star displayed the official substitution slip to television cameras, which reportedly showed Escobar’s number rather than his own.

The moment quickly became the defining image of a disappointing night for Santos, who not only suffered a heavy defeat but also saw fresh concerns emerge over Neymar’s fitness and his hopes of returning to Brazil’s national squad.

Speaking after the match, Neymar said he had been aware that Robinho Jr was coming on but had not realised he himself was the player being replaced because he never saw the substitution board. He described the situation as a serious mistake by the match officials responsible for displaying the numbers.

Santos confirms substitution confusion

Santos manager Cuca also confirmed that Neymar had not originally been selected to leave the field, although he avoided blaming the error for the defeat itself.

The club later issued a statement describing the incident as an “inexplicable error” and said television footage along with the official substitution documents supported Santos’ version of events.

Neymar eventually walked off visibly disappointed and handed the captain’s armband to Escobar, who had reportedly been the intended substitute all along.

World Cup decision approaching

The timing of the incident added further attention to the controversy.

Brazil coach Carlo Ancelotti is set to announce his World Cup squad on Monday, making the Coritiba match Neymar’s final opportunity to impress before selection.

The forward has not represented Brazil since 2023 because of recurring injury problems, though he remains in contention for a return to the national side.

Exit mobile version